Thursday, May 04, 2006

Rummy gets rocked

Looks like Steven Colbert's brilliant performance at the Correspondance Dinner last Saturday night was just the beginning of "Speak Truth To Power" week.

Today, in Atlanta, Secretary of Defense Donald Runsfailed had a frightening encounter with his own words

QUESTION: So I would like to ask you to be up front with the American people, why did you lie to get us into a war that was not necessary, that has caused these kinds of casualties? why?

RUMSFELD: Well, first of all, I haven’t lied. I did not lie then. Colin Powell didn’t lie. [DB: Way to pass the buck. Don't look at me. Look at Colin. The black guy. him him him.] He spent weeks and weeks with the Central Intelligence Agency people and prepared a presentation that I know he believed was accurate, and he presented that to the United Nations. the president spent weeks and weeks with the central intelligence people and he went to the american people and made a presentation. I’m not in the intelligence business. [DB: HA! NSS! But doesn't the Defense Dept. have the nation's largest intelligence agency?] they gave the world their honest opinion. it appears that there were not weapons of mass destruction there.

QUESTION: You said you knew where they were.

RUMSFELD: I did not. I said I knew where suspect sites were and –

QUESTION: You said you knew where they were: Tikrit, Baghdad, northeast, south, west of there. Those are your words. [Hiw own words? No problem. Their first instinct is to lie. See, for example, my post earlier today on Bush and his fluent Spanish]

RUMSFELD: My words — my words were that — no, no, wait a minute, wait a minute. Let him stay one second. Just a second. [DB: After confronting the SecDef with his own words, it seems the security detail moved in to expel him. Welcome to George W. Bush's America!!]

QUESTION: This is America.

RUMSFELD: You’re getting plenty of play, sir. [DB: Expected GOP spin: Did you see how rude and insulting the questioner was?]

QUESTION: I’d just like an honest answer.

RUMSFELD: I’m giving it to you.

QUESTION: Well we’re talking about lies and your allegation there was bulletproof evidence of ties between al Qaeda and Iraq. [DB: Ouch! That's going to leave a mark!]

...continued Viedo here

No comments: