Friday, May 26, 2006

Lazer vs the Man

Lazer Brody: For the many of you who are writing and asking, I am strongly opposed to the Israeli Government Rabbinate's position of not recognizing the conversions of all certified Orthodox rabbis in the diaspora. This decision negates the spirit of smicha, and is a blow to the dignity of rabbis all across the globe. As a matter of solidarity, I want my colleagues around the world to know that I hereby protest the affront. The Israeli Rabbinate has no right to rewrite the Shukchan Oruch in their own quest for oligarchy.

Sing it, my holy brother. I agree with you 100 percent, but find myself wondering exactly how far you're willing to take the premise. For example, can we expect a follow-up post, saying:

...I am strongly opposed to the Hasidic position of not recognizing the (1) kashrus, (2) eruv and (3) mikva supervision of other certified Orthodox rabbis. This decision negates the spirit of smicha, and is a blow to the dignity of rabbis all across the globe. As a matter of solidarity, I want my colleagues around the world to know that I hereby protest the affront. The Hasidim have no right to rewrite the Shukchan Oruch in their own quest for hegemony.
I don't mean to pick on Lazer, but I always chuckle when I catch someone from the Hasidic side of the tracks insisting on the inviolability of the Shulchan Orach. If it's impossible to rewrite the Shulchan Orach, why do Hasidim, for example, ignore z'manim? If the shulchan orach says that it is ok for an observant Jew to eat in the home of any Shabbos observer [hat-tip Charlie Hall] why do the hasidim say no?

No comments: