Thursday, June 29, 2006

What's in a picture?

Far away from the galactic center of the Milky Way, I found this blog "The R Factor" with an interesting picture from here in Israel:



Reuter's captioned the picture as follows:

"Israeli soldiers sing and dance as they prepare to enter the Gaza Strip at the Rafah border crossing area on the Israeli-Gaza border June 28, 2006. REUTERS/Yannis Behrakis (ISRAEL)"

R-Factor brings up some interesting questions:

1) Is this caption accurate? I.e. Was this photo really taken of soldiers celebrating their return to Gaza?

2) Guess which newspaper/news agencies will probably post this picture in their online/print editions today and tomorrow?

3) What is your reaction to such a picture?

Having had my picture taken a few times while wearing an IDF uniform, I can vouch that not every single one them is the perfect image of seriousness (nothing inappropriate, but some are silly). I'm not exactly sure of the circumstances that this picture was taken, but I have a hard time believing it was what the caption describes. The pictures over here are much more in line with what's really going on.

In any event, Israel is now mourning for 18 year old Eliyahu Asheri, the 18 year old Israeli who was kidnapped and brutally shot in the head by Palestinian terrorists, immediately after his abduction.

Most pictures you'll be seeing from Israel over the next few days will be full of grim determination.

Jameel
The Muqata

PS: DovBear, Sorry I haven't been more cheery the past few days. I'll see if I can come up with something on the lighter side a bit later.


No comments: