Sunday, June 18, 2006

Israeli flag flies at World Cup

The picture at right of two Ghanians waving the Israeli flag following their victory, yesterday, over the Czeck Republic comes via The Big Pharoah.

According to BP and the BBC, the Ghanians play for Israeli club teams and took out the blue and white to express appreciation for the support they have received from Israeli fans:
"I love the supporters in Israel so I decided to take out the flag," said [John Paintsil, who plays for Hapoel Tel Aviv]. "I have played for Hapoel and Maccabi Tel Aviv and the supporters there always made me happy so I wanted to repay them."
As BP reports some Arabs aren't pleased with the display of gratitude, and are calling for boycotts of Ghana, and so on. In other words, they are acting exactly like many Jews would, had the Ghanians pulled out a Palestenian flag instead.

No comments: