Monday, July 24, 2006

Wearing Tzitzis Today Is Stupid

Wearing Tzitzis Today Is Stupid
by CousinOliver

Well, at least the emphasis that my stupid community/society places on it is stupid. Here is why:

Numbers 15:38 - Speak to the children of Israel and say to them, they should make themselves tzitzit (fringes) on the corners of their clothing throughout their generations, and give the tzitzit of each corner a thread of blue.
Reason it is stupid: My clothes don’t have corners and the blue isn't even confirmed.

Deuteronomy 22:12 - You shall make yourself twisted threads, on the four corners of your garment with which you cover yourself.
Reason it is stupid: I don’t have a garment with four corners to which I cover myself.

Numbers 15:39 - And they shall be tzitzit for you, and when you look at them you will remember all of the Lord's commandments
Reason it is stupid: Really? Does anyone REALLY look at their fringes and think this? Don’t a lot of people keep them tucked in so you don’t even see them?

Numbers 15:40 - In order to remember and do all My commandments
Reason it is stupid: So what now, If I DON’T wear them Im not going to remember to do the commandments? Am I a child that needs a string around my finger?!

Rambam - says it is commandment just as important as bris milah and korban pesach.
Reason it could be stupid: 1)I have no idea why he makes this comparison. 2)Korban pesach isn't done today. 3)If you don't do a bris milah, you are transgressing; by not wearing tzizit, you are not.

I know that people specifically put on a four cornered garment so that they can fulfill the positive commandment. That’s fine if you want to do that, but I don’t think there is anything wrong with deciding not to and I surely think it is extremely wrong to judge someone you see not wearing them.

No comments: