Thursday, July 13, 2006

Praying for Shalit. Or not.

Is your shul praying for the safe return of Gilad Shalit and the other
kidnapped Israeli soldiers?

Answer in the comments please.

--------

My own shul isn't offering any special prayers on behalf of the
captured soldiers. No tehillim. No mee sha bayrach. Nothing. I am not
sure why. I'd like to think that the shul's official silence is
related to the shul's official non-zionism: We don't ever say special
prayers for Israel or for the IDF, for example, and we ignore Yom
Haatzmaut and Yom Yerushalayim. But my sad hunch is that we're
formally indifferent to the plight of the soldiers because they aren't
Orthodox. I'm quite sure that if a Hasid or Yeshivish person was
imprisoned by terrorists, our reaction would be different.

No comments: