Friday, October 08, 2010

This just in: Earth Round

Matt Yglesias visits Israel for the first time and makes a startling discovery:
I've arrived at my hotel in Jerusalem, exhausted as one tends to be after a ten-hour flight featuring many screaming babies. It's of course difficult to achieve really deep insights on a brief trip, but one thing travel does help you do is recognize things that should have been obvious but are nonetheless easy to overlook. For example, I found myself shocked in the passport control line at Ben Gurion Airport by the enormous quantity of Christians on the line. In my mind, Israel is a place that Jews and people interested in politics visit--but there I was face to face with an enormous group of elderly Italians with crucifixes around their neck.

It makes perfect sense, of course, when you think about it for a minute. But in general I hadn't.,
Ye Gods! Christians? In Israel?? Who'dathunk!

Well, give the guy credit, at least, for admitting he was previously a blind, narrow-thinking moron, and also for confessing that it took him a full minute to overcome his earlier delusion.


Search for more information about blogging at 4torah.com.

No comments: