Tuesday, October 12, 2010

ArtScroll Censors the Mesorah

So, I checked my new ArtScroll translation of Deuteronomy, and to my surprise I discovered that the nasty passages in which we're ordered to kill every single descendant of Amalek have been excluded.

How strange.

Since when does Artscroll care about perceptions?

I thought their whole purpose was to provide the English speaking public with the Torah Truth (TM). Genocide may be unpopular in the 20th century, but the Torah's values are timeless. If the world at large today has a problem with genocide, what concern is that of ours? We Jews should tell the truth, as we know it, consequences be damned. If our Torah, or our Rabbis said or did something, we conceal it at our own peril.

~ ~

As some of you may have realized, the preceding passage is a parody, inspired by S's startling discovery. In what follows, I've taken my tongue out of my cheek, and rewritten the passage to reflect what has actually occurred . I think the larger point remains valid.

~ ~

So, I checked my new ArtScroll translation of Oznayim L'Torah, a classic work written by R. Zalman Sorotzkin, one of the giants of the last century, and to my surprise I discovered that the passages in which R. Sorotzkin expresses his admiration for Daniel Defoes's Robinson Caruso, and derives lessons from it have been excluded. 

How strange. 

Since when does Artscroll care about perceptions? 

I thought their whole purpose was to provide the English speaking public with the Torah Truth (TM). Secular novels may be unpopular in the contemporary yeshiva world, but the Torah's values are timeless. If the zealots and know-nothings of today have a problem with secular novels or the fact that our Gedolim used to read them, what concern is that of ours? We Jews should tell the truth, as we know it, consequences be damned.  If our Torah, or our Rabbis said or did something, we conceal it at our own peril.


Search for more information about the screaming hypocrites who work at ArtScroll at 4torah.com.

No comments: