Thursday, September 07, 2006

At least he called me "entertaining"

A commenter called 12345 (Not his real name. We think.) had this to say about your humble and hardworking narrator:
You defend lefties all the time. One example of this is anytime someone even hints at something negative about clinton, you go into your hyper defensive mode and state how it would defy the laws of science for clinton not to be perfect
I call foul, Sir. A search of my website (all 3000 or so posts) will reveal that I very rarely mention Mr. Clinton, or indeed Democrats at all. Say what you like about them. If it's true, you'll receive no objection from me. True, I hate George W. Bush because he's a dangerous and incompetant fool, but I tend to lob my hand-grenades at whoever is standing in front of the room. If the Democrats retake the House and Senate, and prove to be as bumbling and corrupt as our current masters, you'll hear about it from me. The fact that I may share their general view of the world, is not a get-out-of jail-free card. If they have real power and real authority and make real mistakes I won't be silent.
...you go into your hyper defensive mode and state how it would defy the laws of science for clinton not to be perfect
I don't have a hyper defensive mode. I have a hyper offensive mode.

Dov, I apologize for this personal attack, but what makes this blog such a paradox (and so entertaining) is that your primary pet-peeve seems to be extremism, but at the same time you constantly make extreme partisan statements, and this blog has a very partisan tone.
Also the earth is round.

One of the more frustrating things about being me is putting up with the expressions of indignation and surprise when newbies discover that, gee whiz wow, DovBear is partisan. Here's a news flash: Most bloggers are. Certainly all of us who write about politics are firmly wedded to a point of view. If I'm different (and this might be what lies at the root of 12345's surprise) is that I'm an Orthodox Jewish liberal. The very many partisan Jewish RW bloggers (and the list is nearly endless) aren't often criticized for their tone, or for the one-sided nature of their posts. That fact that some of you critcize me for being partisan, and make no simmilar critism of RW blogs like Seraphic Secret, Cross Currents, Israelly Cool, etc., announces a defect in yourselves.
but at the same time you constantly make extreme partisan statements, and this blog has a very partisan tone
When I started out, I wanted (in part*) to be an Orthodox Jewish and liberal answer to the widespread stupidities found on Jewish RW blogs. In the fullness of time, I suppose, I became a stupid left wing blog. It happens. I'm glad you find it entertaining, and I hope you recognize that not all of my posts are derisive and partisan.

--
* I say "in part" because DocBear is many things, and, hopefully, more than a counterweight to the barbarities and inanities that pass for deep thinking on RW blogs.)

No comments: