Tuesday, February 15, 2011

A few posts about the VIN Ban (#3)

Third in a series. Read the first one here and the second one here

The emails sent to V.I.N advertisers purport to be from a vad harabonim?
Who are they?


I have not been able to discover much about the identity of the vad harabonim that has sent letters of demand to V.I.N advertisers. Yesterday, I exchanged emails with an anonymous spokesman who answered the messages I sent to the Vaad's gmail address. The replies contained little of use.  The spokeman would not tell me who the vaad's members are, ignoring two separate requests, nor would he identify himself by any name other than "vad."

Though his notes to me were perfectly polite, and even friendly, they ended by claiming "the rabonim have to leave for a conference to Chicago" - and presumably to a moment in time before telephones and blackberries were invented.

I have not been able to confirm that any conference of Rabbis is currently taking place in Chicago.

In short, this is not the behavior of a reputable organization. Instead, it sounds like the Vaad is one man, acting alone, and attempting to capitalize on the reputation of the Godoloim and the old Jewish fear of scandal and non-conformity.

No comments: