Thursday, July 09, 2009

tripped over some Jewish music in Hong Kong of all places!

A Guest Post by Rafi G.

You will never believe this.

I just had to call Hong Kong. The person I was talking to put me on hold. The hold music was extremely familiar, but classier than what i was familiar with. I knew the tune, but could not think of the words.

I called over three different people and had them listen to the hold music, so I have witnesses. I then did some research (i.e. I called my musical wife) and hummed the tune and asked what the song is. Lo and Behold, the song is Abie Rotenberg's Adon Olam.

I quickly found it on the internet and played it for the people I had played the hold music to, and they concurred it was exactly the same tune.

I had not called some Jewish office in Hong Kong where the Jewish owner might have set his hold music to his favorite Jewish soing, I called the largest ISP in Hong Kong, and this was their hold music!

So, did they take Abie Rotenberg's tune and use it (granted, if they did, it was probably somebody else who took it and made it into general music which they then used), or did Abie Rotenberg take someone else's music and put Jewish words to it.... I hope it was the former. It is really a great song, as are almost all of Abie Rotenbergs songs...

Search for more information about [Hong Kong and Jewish Music] at 4torah.com.

No comments: