Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Streit's kosher for Pesach Followup

A guest post by JS:

A brief followup to my previous post entitled "Kashrut isn't just for what goes in your mouth" which was posted on March 24. Turns out I was a bit ahead of the curve on this issue.

At the time of the posting, a few commenters had indicated that I was making a mountain out of a molehill. Comments included arguments that I was only referring to a small vaad, Streit's business wouldn't really be hurt, we must respect trusted rabbinic authorities, better safe than sorry, a retraction was made quickly, and other inanities.

Since Pesach, it has come to my attention that the Vaad of Queens and the Vaad of the Five Towns and Far Rockaway also made public announcements that Streit's was "not approved" for Pesach. And of course, like the email I was forwarded (which was not from these Vaads) their timing was impeccable - just days before Pesach - and their reasons for the kashrut advisory were just as clear and logical - because we said so.

See an article on this here at the Jewish Star published April 10; be sure to read the whole thing. Prepare to be incensed and wonder how these people ever wound up in a position of authority, let alone one that affects thousands of Jews. Also be prepared to wonder aloud just how kosher anything we eat really is given the imbeciles in charge and their complete lack of yashrut.

I'd love to hear back from all the commenters who complained about my previous post - I hear these same rabbinic authorities have recently announced that crow is now kosher and may be eaten freely. I apologize in advance for the snarkiness of this post, but, in case you can't tell, this really bothers me and I think it should bother all of us.

No comments: