Thursday, June 25, 2009

Open challange to the RW

There are some RW bloggers who think Obama wants to destroy settlements, and that he expects Israel to withdraw from the West Bank, and even Jerusalem.

I've looked very carefully, and I've found no justification for this claim. I've directly asked two bloggers to explain the basis for it. No answer was given. Instead, additional claims were made, and I was accused of being unwilling to help Israel fight this "unprecedented" threat.

So let me be clear. I'll be glad to help Israel fight any battle that needs to be won, but first I need to be convinced that a threat exists. I agree that Obama, like every president since Carter - including George W. Bush - has called for an end to settlement growth* but I see absolutely no evidence that he wants or expects Israel to destroy settlements.

If you are aware of any substantiation for this claim, please share it with me.

Thank you.

*Yes, George W. Bush also told Israel to stop all settlement activity, including natural growth, and as the Wall Street Journal reported today, he also forced Ariel Sharon to destory various Gaza settlements.

No comments: