Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Social Implications of the Rape by Deception Case

A Guest Post By E. Fink

There is an inherent racism in the Rape by Deception case. And no, I do not mean the court is racist in its ruling.

I mean the "victim".

If the man is Israeli it is okay to sleep with him after just meeting him, but if he is Arab then it is not okay to sleep with him?

I don't doubt that she feels this way. But what is the basis for her feeling this way? If she was very religious then perhaps she is concerned with the Jewish law of "marrying" a Jew. But I don't think that is what it is.

I think it indicates a strong social aversion to Arabs in Israeli society. So strong that a woman who is willing to sleep with a new acquaintance would not do so if he was Arab.

The court is dealing with the facts on the ground. She would not have consented if she knew he was Arab. That legal issue deserves discussion. What I think is a more productive discussion is why she feels that way.

What factors are okay to consider before sleeping with a man and what factors are not okay? The court seems to think that ethnicity is important enough that her consent was voided. In Israel it is possible that it is that important.

Is it any wonder that Arabs feel 2nd Class in Israel?

I understand how and why that social reality came to exist.

I also think that perhaps it is more harmful than helpful at this point.


Search for more information about racism in Israel at 4torah.com.

No comments: