Thursday, January 24, 2008

The end of Dass Torah?

The ADMAR has another noteworthy article posted on his non-blog about child abuse in right-wing communities. Though all of what he says is as wise as ever, be sure to review the 200+ comments. They don't appear to have been written by the sort of dissatisfied rabble-rousers who hang out here, yet still they overwhelmingly disapprove of the way our famous big name rabonim handled the issue.

I won't pile on, both because I respect famous big name rabonim, and because I don't know what the famous big name rabonim knew or when they knew it. However, I do want to grab this opportunity to add my name to the list of bloggers (1, 2 and more) who have previously mocked Avi Shafran for the insulting to the intelligance spin Avi has attempted to put on the abuse cases.

The man is a tool, more worried about the honor of his bosses than he is about the safety of children. I don't know if the Kolko fall-out will giveour community a healthier and more realistic understanding of famous big name rabonim, their roles and their power. But let's hope that it teaches us to ignore professional spinmeisters like Avi Shafran.

No comments: