Thursday, December 23, 2004

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Wise words:
"It is touching that the Right has managed to transform the holiday season into another hate fest. But, let me say this -- when the occasion arises, I tend to say 'happy holidays.' Not because I'm worried about offending people. Not because I'm trying to be overly inclusive to people of all faiths. It's because it really feels ** stupid saying 'Merry Christmas' on December 1 when Christmas is over 3 weeks away.

The 'holiday season' is that period from Thanksgiving until New Years. If we count Thanksgiving, which we should given the ever-lengthening advertising campaign which seems to define the season, that includes 3 federal holidays, one of which falls on December 25. Now, some people may like wishing others a 'Merry Christmas' over a 40 or so day period which encompasses the 'holiday season,' and good for them, but I personally like wishing people a 'Merry Christmas' on or about the actual day. I even think it may be what the baby Jesus would want, though I'll have to check with Pope O'Reilly the first."
[Taken from Atrios]