Here's what Michelson said:
- Fundamentalism is bad.
- American ultra Orthodox kids aren't receiving decent educations.
- The major Orthodox Yeshivot all take tons of Federal Aid, despite an absence of standards and an unwillingness to prepare students for work.
- Israeli Haredim are no better.
- Their lack of an education makes it difficult, if not impossible, for disillusioned Haredim to try something else.
- It also leaves them poor, and at the mercy of their leaders.
- We have to rescue these poor, uneducated Jews.
The piece concludes with some concrete ideas for improving the situation.
Here's how Alderstan responded to these points of fact:
- Michelson is a gay activist
- Plus he hates Israel
- Also, Michelson is really mad, but not for the reason he gave in his piece, but for a reason I'm happy to invent viz: Michelson knows his type of Judaism is going down the tubes so he's lashing out at the winning team.
I've hated Cross Currents for years, but rarely have I been so disappointed by the performance of one of its writers.
Search for more information about pathetic displays at4torah.com