Wednesday, April 09, 2008

More on shul parking lots that are kept open on Shabbos

This is my story and I am sticking with it: A shul that facilitates what Orthodox Judaism defines as shabbos desecration is not an Orthodox shul.

[Update: In no way should this be construed as an insult or disparagement of shuls that keep their parking lots open. Saying that a shul that keeps its lot open on shabbos is "not Orthodox" is exactly like saying that someone who eats meat is not a vegetarian. Does that statement insult the carnivores?]

Why am I bringing this up? Because on the previous thread some of you have listed OU-affiliated shuls that keep their parking lots open, and look the other way when members use the lots on shabbos morning. I'm not surprised to learn that hybrid type shuls exist; I'm aware of several USCJ shuls that offer daily minyanim, shiurim, and even separate seating. I'm just surprised to learn that any of these hybrid shuls are accepted by the OU.

No comments: