Tuesday, January 11, 2005

WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THIS?

A great idea from our good friends at Slate: Pundit for Hire - Please, Mr. President, I can shill for you, too!

Writes Art Levine, a contributing editor of the Washington Monthly:
I've got a great proposal for you to consider. Even though the administration's $240,000 arrangement with Armstrong Williams seems to have backfired... you'll need someone like me to "shill" for you in liberal circles. Of course, I'm not as well-known as Armstrong Williams, but my progressive background will add credibility to the arguments I can make on behalf of your policies. And instead of the $240,000 your Education Department paid Williams, my services can be obtained for a mere $5,000 per article (plus expenses) and a "power lunch" at the Palm restaurant, drinks included.
Do you suppose any of the real journalists in our bubble, pros like Esther, Miriam, or Sarah have considered writing the president with a similar pitch letter?

If Armstrong Williams got $250,000 for serving as the President's propoganda tool, couldn't a pro-Bush blurb from a blogger (like me!) be worth something, too?

If I wasn't so busy with the blog, and my other associations, responsibilities, obligations, and enterprises, I'm sure I'd have done it myself. But now this Klein guy, good Jewish name and all, has beaten me to the punch.

[Related]