Monday, January 31, 2005

PANTS ON FIRE

Here's a sweet, but implausible story from today's New York Times
Mr. Sharansky found himself in the Oval Office in an hourlong conversation with the president about his book, 'The Case for Democracy: The Power of Freedom to Overcome Tyranny and Terror.' Mr. Bush apologized for not finishing it, Mr. Sharansky said in a telephone interview last week from Jerusalem - 'He said, 'I'm on Page 211' ' - but otherwise threw his arms around Mr. Sharansky's theme that spreading democracy is in the strategic self-interest of free societies.

'I felt like his book just confirmed what I believe,' Mr. Bush said in an interview on Thursday in the Oval Office. 'He writes it a heck of a lot better than I could write it, and he's certainly got more credibility than I have. After all, he spent time in a Soviet prison and he has a much better perspective than I've got.'
Oh, what we would pay to be able to ask the president even 3 questions about that book.

I'd even let the president refer to the book for his answers. I'd even let him see the questions in advance.

"I'm on Page 211." Yeah, right.