Friday, December 03, 2004

NATURE OR NURTURE?

Chris Matthews asks the tough questions:

FALWELL: I don't think any -- I don't think anybody is born a bank robber or born a hostile left-winger or a hostile right-winger or gay or a promiscuous heterosexual. I think there comes a time in childhood where environment may be a part of it, whatever, teaching, instruction, one chooses, I will do this or that. And that's why good, godly parenting... (CROSSTALK)

MATTHEWS: How old were you when you chose to be heterosexual?

FALWELL: Oh, I don't remember that.

MATTHEWS: Well, you must, because you say it's a big decision.

FALWELL: Well, I started dating when I was about 13.

MATTHEWS: And you had to decide between boys and girls. And you chose girls.

FALWELL: I never had to decide. I never thought about it.

DOVBEAR: Is there anyone in America besides the blowhard minister who still thinks homosexuality is a choice???

And put aside the politics for a second. What do religious people GAIN by insisting it is not a choice? Couldn't they continue to insist that homosexuality is immoral even if they agreed that it wasn't a choice? I agree that homosexulaity is prohibited by the Torah. How does the fact that it's not a choice obviate Leviticus?

Very befuddling.

No comments: