Saturday, December 04, 2004

WHAT IS AN EXEMPLARY EVANGELICAL?

David Brooks, who appears in his official NYT photo wearing a smashing pink tie, thinks there are good evangelicals and bad evangelicals, a position shared, no doubt by many deluded Jews. John Shott, for example, is good, says Brooks. Jerry Falwell is not.

As for me, I don't see any real difference between the two men. Both would say to me, "I believe something you don't, and I'm right, and you're wrong."

Of course, I would say the same thing back to them.

But: Whereas I would then be happy to let them go on their way, they have both decided they must stop me, change my mind, modify my behavior and regulate my access to rights, freedoms and services.

That's not humility. That's arrogance. And it doesn't need "understanding." It needs opposition.

No comments: