Thursday, February 15, 2007

Today's Toaff

'Blood libel' author halts press Jerusalem Post: "I was astounded by the sheer force of these misrepresentations, which turned what is a research book into a vehicle used to harm Judaism and the Jewish people and, God forbid, as a justification for blood libel."

I've read everything I can find about this book, and I'm still in the dark about what exactly was misrepresented. Does the book claim that Jews killed Christian children for ritual purposes? Toaff says no, but newspapers like J-Post and Ha'aretz have, from the beginning, made the opposite claim.

Toaff now seems to be suggesting that the newspapers are the ones who turned his research into an anti-Jewish weapon. If it turns out the book is really (as Toaff has claimed) about the anti-Christian attitudes and sentiments of one community, I'm inclined to agree.

No comments: