Tuesday, June 21, 2005

I kept my promise...

The remains of Terri Schiavo were put to rest on Monday beneath a tombstone reading "I kept my promise."

All along, I've interepted Michael's quest as an act of love. He insisted that Terri, like many other Americans, expressed a strong wish not to be kept alive by extraordinary measures. And rather than gutlessly betraying her wishes when the going got rough, he went to court and spent his own money in an effort to honor his wife’s wishes. He didn’t insult her memory and their marriage by permiting others to salve their own heartbreak by maintaining Terry as a hollow shadow of her self.

Though Jewish law might call what Michael did "murder" Michael isn't a Jew, and he's not bound by our law. I've always been able to see Michael side of the story. I've always been able to imagine how this all looked through Michael's eyes, and I've never had an ounce of patiance for people, callous people, cruel people, who refused to do him the simple courtesy of trying to walk, even for a moment, in his mocassins.

Michael kept his promise. Godspeed.