Thursday, July 24, 2008

Understanding the blog's editorial direction

Question: Why do you not raise the exact same objection to the far more numerous blogs [DB: You counted?] that make the exact same sort of idiotic, offensive connections (visual and otherwise) between Bush and Hitler?

Answer: Most of the people I know are well aware that liberals sometimes say and do stupid things. In fact, most seem to take it for granted. In the minds of many members of my real and virtual communities, it is the liberals who are the rude, inaccurate flakes, while conservatives are thought to be solid, patriotic, sensible and practical people.

It won't surprise anyone to see that liberals offensively and incorrectly link Bush with Hitler, but it may surprise some of you to learn that conservatives are guilty of the same offense.

The day is short, the task is great and the Bear is lazy. I can't cover everything. What catches my eye will always be the story that upends conventional wisdom. I may be mistaken, but is is my belief that many friends and readers of this blog will yawn at the news that some liberals think Bush=Hitler, while others might respond with "I knew it! Damn Liberals!" I'm not interested in either reaction. I don't want to bore you, nor do I wish to drum up jingoistic fervor, or lead a rally. I'm not interested in reinforcing cherished beliefs. I'm interested in challenging, questioning or broadening them.

No comments: