Thursday, August 30, 2007

Coffee and Chemo

A guest post from http://muqata.blogspot.com/

Some of the JBlogosphere's biggest cynics, skeptics and bashers comment here at DovBear's blog. You know who they are. We all do.

Granted, they keep things entertaining -- but the JBlogosphere is far from being only them; not everyone is infected by their pessimism. While their ranting occasionally drowns out the good, I would like to share some of the positive. [Ed note: The views expressed here do not reflect the opinions of the management. We heart the comments. ]

The following is from my friend's blog, CoffeeandChemo.
I am still on speaking terms with God.

That's not to say that I'm not having a bit of a crisis. But, so far, no major crisis of faith...

I don't understand why this is happening. But, as I always say, things could be worse. So I am grateful that the cancer was discovered when it was and that I live in a time when there are really good drugs that can keep me alive for a long time.

Still, I wanted to do something more.

I wanted to respond to my situation in a religious way. I already asked everyone I know to pray for me. And I am on a number of Tehillim lists (groups who say recite all of Psalms in someone's merit).

But what should I do? What could I take on without it being too much for me at this time?

I didn't want to take on something that I couldn't keep up. So, I decided that I would focus on something that I do already, and try to do it "better". So, I am trying to say brachot (blessings) out loud and with more kavanah (focused intention).

Many years ago, when I was in college, I accompanied a friend to her family's home for Shabbat. After I said a bracha (blessing) quietly, her father asked why I had said the bracha quietly and denied him the ability to answer "amen", which would give him the merit of having participated in the bracha. I didn't have an answer then, and that question has stayed with me for years.

I still feel a little silly, saying the brachot out loud. But I am working on it.
When you want to take a break from the cynics and appreciate a fresh breathe of optimism and emuna, visit her blog after your daily (hourly?) read at Dovbear.

Wishing RivkA bat Tirzel a Refuah Shelaima. [Ed note: Omein, vchen yehi rotzon]

Jameel @ TheMuqata

(And of course, thanks again to DB for the posting rights -- that's another reason for optimism.)

No comments: