Friday, November 04, 2005

Notes from all over

Orthomom publishes, like 15 hundred words, on Judaism and fur, but neglects to mention the biggest abusers of all: Hasidim. Does she have a shtriemal in her own closet, perhaps? Was condeming fur wearers w/o mentioning them some sort of bizarre oversight? Or is it time for me to start flapping my arms and making Pwak Pwak noises in her general direction?

Someone who isn't chicken, though, is the RenReb who devotes maybe 15 thousand words to one of the ickiest topics ever discussed in our artificially genteel world: Bedekia (and, no, dikduk geeks, I won't spell it your way.) The less I know about this squeamish subject the better, so I confess to not having actualy read her post. But if it's by the RenReb the article is likely smart, funny and full of gratuitous refrences to the 80s, to her husband, and yes, to yours truly. So, have a look.

At bloghd the proprietress is all over a Lubovitch video which shows the hasidim venerating their dead Rebbe, and behaving as if the rebbe, himself, was there in the room with them. Akiva, you're DovBear's contributing Chabadnik. How about an explanation?

Gil is still eating my dust.

Bummed out about being excluded? Shanna feels your pain. "All I wanted was to hold a sefer Torah for thirty seconds, to embrace and be embraced, to be rejuvenated and to restore my sense of joy. The hakafot ended, most people went back into the sanctuary to conclude the evening service, and I remained behind to cry some more." Sorry Shanna: Judaism does treat women like little girls. And once Alito is confirmed, expect to see that attitude reflected in many more situations.