Friday, June 03, 2005

New Game

The Hedyot writes:

DB, you just gave me an idea: I think we should have a contest to see who can make the best badly constructed arguments from the Torah.

Here's my first: We see from Yakov and Rachel that a person should kiss their date upon meeting them. (Bereishis 29:11). Ok, that's going a bit too far, since maybe Yakov knew she was his "destined one", we'll say that people should only kiss once they are engaged.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shanna's entry:

We learn from Yitzchak and Rivka that a husband should tickle his wife. Why? Because the king (name escapes me at the moment) saw Yitzchak sporting/joking/laughing with Rivka in a way that made it clear that she was his wife. (My husband, a Yitzchak, came up with that one. And, yes, Amshi, I know I'm just setting myself up for a comment from you there.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My contribution:

We learn from Judah that it's ok to consort with prostitutes. (Gn 38:12)