Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Siyum HaShas Dispatch
Our intrepid correspondent writes from the Jersey Meadowlands:

The mincha minyan was huge and inspirational. All of us davened together in one loud and powerful voice. It was unreal.

Ever, the trouble-maker, I asked:

What nusach?

His reply:

Sefard

So I guess that makes it official: the 1000+ year-old nusach of our European ancestors has been completely superseded. Yay! Another victory for change and progress.

But because my heart is large, I worry about my co-religionists. I asked:

I wonder if the backwards people in attendance who aren't "with it" and still daven ashkenaz thought it was "huge and inspirational" to have their nusach ignored?

He answered:

Don't be silly DovBear: How many people who daven ashkenaz learn Daf Yomi!

He was joking. I think.

But still great news about that old, outdated, nusach finally being put down, right?