Thursday, March 10, 2005

The Limits of Orthodox Optimism

Re: this Reuven wrote:

"Would beit din ever torture somebody? Would beit din ever supersede the laws of inheritance to confiscate a criminal's money? Not to mention that even the third step - the death penalty - would only happen if hatra'ah (full warning) had been given ("What you are saying is heretical and you will be killed for it"), and the heretic had responded, "Yes, I know that, and I am doing it anyway." One who responded, "No, this is not heresy," would not be a meizid (intentional sinner) and would not be killed.

I answered:

Rueven, you're being very kind and I respect that. Unfortunately, whenever any religious group (Jews included) take power, abuses of the kind described [in the original post] quickly follow. So perhaps Slifkin wouldn't get his fingernails torn out by the first generation of surpreme Jewish leaders, but even the original house of David was dangerously corrupt after four generations. I appreciate your optimism, but nothing in human history justifies it.

I'm curious to see what the very true believers say about that. I've linked tham all below for the purpose of summoning them. Give a click, and let them know their view is cordially requested.
Frum Actress
Ba'al Teshuva
Aidel Maidel
Simple Jew
Haredi Wannabee