Saturday, March 12, 2005

Bill the Bozo

Rant:
My old buddy Bill O'Reilly was doing his thing last week, referring to the American Civil Liberties Union as a "terrorist group" on his radio show. See, the ACLU (mission statement: to "work daily in courts, legislatures and communities to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed to every person in this country by the Constitution and laws of the United States") is suing Donald Rumsfeld for "approving illegal interrogation methods that led to the torture and abuse of detainees in U.S. military custody," according to Media Matters. It turns out that O'Reilly is - naturally - for dubious government activities such as illegal torture and secret surveillance.

"So look, I'm declarin' war on the ACLU," said Bill. "I think they're a terrorist group. They're terrorizin' me and my family. They're terrorizing me. I think they're terrorists." Chill out, Bill - we get the picture. Anyone you disagree with is now a "terrorist."

Hey, I've got an idea - why don't we kill two birds with one stone and get the government to torture the ACLU? I mean, since they're terrorists and all. I'm sure this is the sort of government activity that Bill O'Reilly would strongly approve of.