Thursday, February 03, 2005

Non-PC Matisyahu observations. Yes, I was late. And, yes, like you, I ignore Jewish music because, as a rule, it sucks. But now, that I've seen and heard the boy (one song on Jimmy Kimmel. I don't claim to know his oeuvre.) I have something to say. He can sing. And his singing is even better when you can't see him.

Wait. Before you accuse me of being anti-Lubovitch (again) listen to this: I have a crap PC at work. Something's screwed with the codex on the media player. As a result I can hear videos, but I can't see them.

At work, I thought Matisyahu was great. His voice was really excellent. First rate. (Though songs without lyrics annoy me) But then I went home, pulled the video up on a working PC, and I see this guy in a black hat shuffling his feat back and forth like a spazoid marionette.

Look I don't know what I am talking about. Granted. But for me, some of Matisyahu's appeal disapeared when I saw his stage presence.

Last negative remark: Why are Jew so excited about him, anyway? So far as the music goes, he's Jewish like Gene Simmons of Kiss is Jewish

More positive remarks: He did preform a kiddush hashem on the Kimmel show, when he said that he works with Muslims and when he refused to work on Shabbos. Though neither of these positions surprised me, you could tell Kimmel, who needs to get out more, was impressed to learn there exist Jews who won't compromise on Shabbos and don't hate Arabs.

I'm glad Matis could show him we exist.