Wednesday, December 17, 2014

You meet the strangest people on Twitter...


It all started with what I thought was a simple, innocent joke. I saw that some small-time mayor had elected not to participate in his town's Chanukah lighting ceremony, so I tweeted the headline with a small joke attached.
Now, I don't think this is the funniest joke ever written. Its barely Leno-worthy. But the wisecrack sort of works because it plays on the idea that Chabad is deeply associated with candle lighting ceremonies. That's part of their brand. Its what they do. So I made a little joke about it. Harmless, right?

Well, not according to one gentleman who, in his profile, ironically identifies himself as a "funny Jew." He thinks my tweet qualified as a hate crime.
I responded calmly, but it was no use and we were off to the races:




Tweet text


So dear readers, I am asking you to judge: Was my original tweet evidence of hatred, bias, and other associated evils, or did my interlocutor demonstrate the sort of PC-fueled hyper-sensitivity that has, unfortunately, turned conversation into a blood sport?  Please cast your vote in the comments.



  Search for more information about ### at4torah.com

No comments: