Tuesday, November 09, 2004

A FACINATING LOOK INTO THE MIND OF A VALUE BASED WRITER

Declaration of Expulsion: A Modest Proposal It's Time to Reconfigure the United States by Mike Thompson

Mike Thompson, a writer at Human Events, the National Conservative Weekly, wants to expel from the Union the 12 states that voted for Kerry. (Click to read) Of course, when your favorite blogger (TM) suggested the same thing, you said I was an elitist. Oh well. I guess we can't all write angry columns for big magazines.

Side note: Charmed as I am that Mr. Thompson likes my idea, I feel I must point out some problems in his article. First, he cites a study and statistics snopes has already debunked. The professor he cites didn't complete the study Thompson says he did, and the murder stats he assigns to "Gore/Kerry USA" are wrong.

Though my own state, happily, is listed among those Thompson would expel, I must confess that my own little neighborhood doesn't seem to fit the necessary criteria for inclusion in "Gore/Kerry USA." DovBear's hometown is, in fact, a better match with Bush USA, fitting the description of:

.... predominantly white; devoutly Christian (mostly Protestant); openly, vigorously heterosexual; an open land of single-family homes and ranches; economically sound (except for a few farms), but not drunk with cyberworld business development, and mainly English-speaking, with a predilection for respectfully uttering "yes, ma'am" and "yes, sir."

In my hometown we are white, to Thompson’s great relief I'm sure (or surprise; after all he wants to expel my home state from his perfect community, presumably, in part, because it isn't white enough for him) but we're not Christian. Would Thompson and his conservative crowd hold that against us?

What do you think?

No comments: