Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Sterling gets the wrong punishment

I DISAGREE with the NBA's decision to ban Donald Sterling for life.

Donald Sterling did not deprive anyone of his civil rights, and he did not break any laws. He committed a serious social error, or call it a social crime if you prefer, and he should be punished socially.

Instead of a ban, I'd like to see Sterling booed every time he appears at a game. I'd like to see free agent players decline his money. I'd like to see him denounced by the media. I'd like to see him banished from his social circles. I'd like to see his business partners, including his team's corporate sponsors, jump ship. All of these are appropriate social consequences for a serious social crime such as the one he committed. Forcing Sterling to divest himself of an asset or banning him from participating in the management of that asset is the wrong kind of penalty.

 Search for more information about ### at4torah.com

No comments: