Monday, February 11, 2008

Is God a Magic Toaster?

by CousinOliver

A fine chap said to me this past weekend: "The laws of physics say that things don't move unless an outside force moves them. The outside force for the Big Bang is God". I didn't have much time to discuss it, but I wonder why this bloke would jump to God as being the answer to his equation.


By answering 'God', he accepted that there are some things that don't need to be created. If so, why not accept that the density, temperatures and pressures expanding and cooling that caused the big bang was infinite. What is the difference and why is God a more acceptable answer?


Why does 'God' need to be the answer? Why can't some other, non deity, that was outside our realm be the answer? It is just as acceptable to believe that aliens from an alternate dimension did it. I could also suggest that this `thing` did the deed, moved on and has no part or care in our universe. I could go further and suggest that whatever it was is now dead. Isn't it reasonable to believe that a magical toaster set things in motion when the timer rang?


Quantum Physics has all sorts of strange laws. Time was created at the big bang. I can't even ask what was "before" the big bang, because time didn't exist. Cause and Effect, the need for an outside force to get our universe going, need not hold true at the big bang. Matter didn't exist. Quantum Physics can make things appear from nothing. I can't comprehend the fact that space is ever expanding, let alone a dense gravity energy space that was 'before' the big bang. Jumping to a deity, as an argument for first cause, is even harder for me to do.


The fine chap picked God and I don't know why. I like the magic toaster thing.

No comments: