Wednesday, February 02, 2005

MAGIC BY MAIL

I'm a little disapointed.

Yesterday's mail brought a promise, no, a guarantee, from one of the leaders of my community. He more-or-less swore that if I reached into my pocket to help his latest charity case, I'd never have to worry about money.

His exact words: In the zechus (merit) of your generosity, I give to you my blessing that you should never need to seek assistance from others. [sic]

Why doesn't he use his fantastic powers to improve his grammar? Yes, I asked that, too. But a more pressing question is this: If he can offer me financial security, why can't he wave his magic wand and help the charity-case? Why does he need my money? And if, as I suspect, he can't deliver, why isn't he running away from falsehood as the Torah commands? Why is he making a promise we all know he can't keep?