Sunday, May 01, 2022

Points of disagreement between me and the Orthodox Jews

Points of disagreement between me and the Orthodox Jews

  • I don't think Zionist Israel is special
  • I don't think hasidut is special
  • I don't accept any kind of witchcraft
  • I don't accept any kind of magic
  • I think the reward for a mitzvah is the mitzvah (and I try to embrace all consequences thereof)
  • I reject ATM Judaism*
  • I reject gold star Judaism*
  • I refuse to treat God like a hired hand
  • I refuse to treat our great Rabbis like Catholic saints
  • I think the call for us to "storm the heavens with our prayers" suggests some rather awful things about God
  • I realize it's blasphemous to suggest God enjoys listening to us chant and sing and wave around our arms
  • I think Uman is a joke
  • I think what Israel is doing in the West Bank is disgusting and immoral
  • I don't think we're ever obliged to believe Midrashim
  • I think were often obliged to accept that the authors of midrashim believed exactly what they said
  • I think education is more important than chinuch
  • I don't think black hats or Zionism or sitting and learning is michaper kol avonot

ATM:
You go up to God with a card and a pass code (=zechuyot) and you get cash and prizes

Goldstar
Mitzvoth have no intrinsic value. They don't make you better. They just add to your collection of gold stars which you can sell to other people in things like a zevulen/yissacher deal or trade in (hey God here are ten gold stars, please save Moshe from cancer)

No comments: