Thursday, May 05, 2022

Consider a more sympathetic understanding of the anti-woke people.

On Twitter, I was urged to consider a more sympathetic understanding of the anti-woke people.
I tried, but I admit I'm stumped.
Maybe you can help? Here are three little sketches of how the anti-woke people look to me.
If you have a better way of understanding it, please let me know.
TRADER SAM.
Here is my POV:
1. Disney sees that Trader Sam offends people and perpetuates stereotypes that hurt people. "Why," Disney says to itself, "should we be in the business of helping people think that minorities are X,Y, and Z.?"
2. Out of compassion, Disney removes Trader Sam
3. People who value their own nostalgia over everything else in the world scream "woke!!"
TRANS PEOPLE
Here is my POV
1. People see suffering in the world
2. People try to mitigate that suffering with compassion. Some examples of that compassion may include using words that make people experience less suffering.
3. People who are insecure in their own identities and value nostalgia over everything else yell "woke!!"
DR SUESS.
Here is my POV
1 The owner of Dr. Suess sees illustrations that perpetuate stereotypes that harm people. "Why", the owner asks itself, "should we be doing anything to help small children accept stereotypes about Asians and Africans?"
2. The owner takes the books out of publication
3. People who value their own nostalgia over everything else in the world scream "woke!!"
Do you see this differently? Great. Give your POV

No comments: