Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Donny Fuchs says "We are not indigenous to Israel" -- and I agree.


The anti Hasbarah article in the Jewish Press by Donny Fuchs is my new most-favorite thing ever. 
He's right on the facts, right on the sources, and right to say that Hasbarah types regularly twist both.

I hope to say many more words about this article over the next few days, but first let me add a few additional reasons why the "Jews are Indigenous to Israel" argument doesn't make it past first base:

(1) I will stipulate and agree that there is genetic and archaeological evidence that ancient Israelites (who, by the way,  looked nothing like us, and didn't practice their religion like we do and, likely, didn't even believe in the same God as we do) lived in the region 30,000 years ago. But....
  • What follows from that? There is also genetic and archaeological evidence that our distant ancestors lived in Africa. Does that mean I can go back to Nigeria, declare myself indigenous, and start bossing people around? 
  • Those ancient Israelites are ALSO the ancestors of the modern Palestinians. So any claim you might make to Israel on the grounds of genetics also applies ot the Palestinians http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/science/1.681385
(2) You can't reconcile the facts of science with the claims of theology. Those who make theological claims on the land of Israel on behalf of the Jews don't respect science or archaeology, in general.


I reject flawed efforts to defend our right to our Promised Land, just because hasbara types mistakenly feel that it is a good secular argument to reach the world.
JEWISHPRESS.COM|BY DONNY FUCHS








DISCLAIMER
Because I expect someone will ask let me offer a preemptive disclaimer: I do not object to Jews living in Israel. I think all people of all races and all religions should be free to live anywhere they wish. At the same time I object to the idea that members of particular races or religions "belong" somewhere; also I object to jingoism (which I truly hate), and attempts to whitewash unacceptable ideas and behavior. It is for these reasons and these reasons alone that I sometimes clash with the Hasbarahniks. From now on I'll just cite this article as it makes many of the most important points for me.

Search for more information about ### at4torah.com

No comments: