Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Still another halachic question

This is like the third or fourth one this month...

Dear DovBear,

I have started following your blog at the enthusiastic recommendation of my boyfriend. I love it!

After thoughtful and serious consideration and study, I have recently decided to leave Christianity and embrace the path of a B’Nai No’ach. I have always felt close to G-d, but the connection is much stronger now that unnecessary obstacles have been removed. I am studying and learning every day…

What prompts this contact? I looked back through some of the comments and past blogs concerning tattoos. You gave someone your email address and invited him/her to contact you with a question. I am hoping you might be able to help me with a question I have

I come from a very artistic family and found that tattoos were a great source of personal expression for me. Now, knowing that G-d forbids them in His Torah, I wish that I could go back in time and change my decision to get the three I have. I would never have gotten them if I knew then what I know now.

I have one on my side of my ex-husband's initials. This one causes me deep regret...I do not know what to do about it. My sweet boyfriend despises it --- as do I, and I totally understand why he feels that way. My dilemma is this: what can I do at this point? I would love to have the tattoo removed, but cutting the skin is also forbidden. Or I have thought about having the tattoo reworked, just to get rid of the image.. maybe with Hebrew "forgive me" or a water shed. Leaving it as is causes me and my sweetie too much sadness. I really feel stuck. I want to respect and honor Torah as much as possible; I also realize that one day I may desire to convert. I am very upset with myself for getting these tattoos. I just don't want to make MORE mistakes while trying to resolve this one. :)

Any help you can offer will be GREATLY appreciated. I give permission to post this. Please post it anonymously…

Thank you and have a wonderful day!


Readers? Can you help?


Search for more information about kosher tattoos at 4torah.com.

Going to Israel?
Now get 2 phones for the price of 1 (and free calls too) with Talk'n'Save.

No comments: