Monday, January 18, 2010

Chazal, Jewish women, and the color red

One of the things I "know" but have never bothered to investigate is that Jewish women aren't supposed to wear red. I don't know where this comes from, or if anyone actually obeys this restriction. Nor do I know the history or the development of the idea. So I didn't have much of an answer when someone semi-famous sent me this in an email slugged "Chazal proven right again." Money quote:
Professor of psychology, Dr. Andrew Elliot and researcher Dr. Daniela Niesta, conducted five psychological experiments which showed that the colour red makes men feel more amorous toward women and found men are unaware of the role the colour plays in their attraction.
Since, I'm not sure what they said, I can't be sure they were proven right, see? Also, I rather doubt "Chazal" spoke on the subject in one unified voice of agreement in that, well, that never happened.

Can anyone fill in some of the blanks here?


Search for more information about chazal and the color red at 4torah.com.

Going to Israel?
Now get 2 phones for the price of 1 (and free calls too) with Talk'n'Save.

No comments: