Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Bush's flip

The Libby commutation is a wonderful teaching opportunity. I've been using it to show my kids how vile and corrupt the president is. And I encourage you strongly to do same. :)

For those of you waiting for my Official Position, here it is: I don't think Libby should serve jail time for perjury and obstruction of justice. He's a first-time offender, with years of public service under his belt, who was caught in the middle of a brouhaha not of his own making. Had the judge slapped him with a fine and sent him home, you'd have heard no objection from me. However, the Bush administration has traditionally taken a different view.

In fact, as Joe Biden helpfully points out, in a nearly identical case decided last year, the president filed an amicus brief arguing that a 33-month sentence for perjury and obstruction was "reasonable." So why is the same president now calling Libby's 30-month sentence "excessive"?

Hmmm?

No comments: