Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Today's reading

Rich Woman/Poor Woman
a dramatic reading for two people


I am a woman.
I am a woman.

I am a woman born of a woman,
whose man owned a factory.

I am a woman born of a woman,
whose man labored in a factory.


I am a woman whose man wore silk suits, who closely watched his weight.
I am a woman whose man wore tattered clothing, whose heart was constantly strangled by hunger.

I am a woman who watched two babies grow into beautiful children.
I am a woman who watched two babies die
because there was no milk.

I am a woman who watched twins grow into popular students with summers abroad.
I am a woman who watched three children grow, but with bellies stretched from no food.

But then there was a man:
But then there was a man:

And he talked about the peasants getting richer by my family getting poorer.
And he told me of days that would be better, and he made the days better.

We had to eat rice!
We had rice!

We had to eat beans!
We had beans!

My children were no longer given summer visas to Europe.
My children no longer cried themselves to sleep.

I felt like a peasant.
I felt like a woman.

A peasant with a dull, hard, unexciting life.
Like a woman with a life that sometimes
allowed a song.


And I saw a man.
And I saw a man.

And together we began to plot with the hope of a return of freedom --
I saw his heart begin to beat with hope of freedom, at last.

Someday, the return of freedom.
Someday freedom.

But then, one day
But then, one day

There were planes overhead, and guns firing close by.
There were planes overhead, and guns firing in the distance.

I gathered my children and went home.
I gathered my children and ran.

And the guns moved farther and farther away.
But the guns moved closer and closer.

And then, they announced that freedom had been restored!
And then, they came, young boys really ...

They came into my home along with my man.
They came and found my man.

Those men whose money was almost gone --
They took all the men whose lives were almost their own.

And we had drinks to celebrate.
And they shot them all.

The most wonderful martinis.
They shot my man.

And then they asked us to dance.
And then they came for us.

Me.
For me, the woman.

And my sisters.
For my sisters.

And then they took us --
And then they took us --

They took us to dinner at a small, private club.
They stripped from us the dignity we had gained.

They treated us to beef.
They raped us.

It was one course after another.
One after another they came at us.

We nearly burst, we were so full.
Lunging, plunging ... sisters bleeding, dying.

It was magnificent to be free again.
It was hardly a relief to have survived.

And then we gathered our children together.
And then they took our children --

And gave them some good wine
And they took their scissors -

And then we gave them a party
And then they took the hands of the children ...

(Pause)

The beans have almost disappeared now.
The beans have disappeared.

The rice I've replaced with chicken or steak.
The rice, I cannot find it.

And the parties continue night after night, to make up for all the time wasted.
And my silent tears are joined once more by the midnight cries of my children.

I feel like a woman again.
They say I am a woman.

No comments: