Thursday, April 21, 2005

Call to Arms

On Monday I was at a bris mila, where the father, Reuven, performed the metziza b'peh himself. Afterwards Reuven and I were chatting, and he told me in a tone of real disgust that "some rabbi in Monsey" was working “hand-in-hand” with the state health authorities to outlaw the metziza ritual.

"I did it myself on my own son as a statement," he all but shouted.

Reuven is a little crazy, not very well read and easily excited. Also, he'd just swallowed a mouthful of his son's blood, so I thought this was a bad time to tell him that his information about Rabbi Tendler was wrong. Besides, the lies about Tendler are an old story. Surely, by now, intelligent people have learned the truth.

Tuesday, I received this by E-mail. It's an article from the Yated, describing a rally that took place in Monsey. Like almost everything the Yated prints, it is unintentionally hysterical.

"Wow," I thought. "The crazies sure are multiplying; still, anyone with half-a-brain can see this anti-Tendler propaganda for what it is."

Today, my optimism was demolished. A smart person, a man I respect and admire, repeated the lie, saying he knew for a fact that Rabbi Moshe Tendeer is "colaberating" with "anti-Semites" who are trying to "destroy" bris milah.

Mark Twain said it best: A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Ladies and gentleman, this has gone too far. The lie about Rabbi Tendler is halfway around the world, and a very good man's name is being ruined.

It is time to put our boots on.

I beg you to send this article and any of the posts cited below to everyone you know. Tell them that Rav Moshe Tendler is being slandered and harassed by people, solely and strictly, on the basis of lies and gossip, and that you're writing to help set the record straight.

And tell them DovBear sent you.

Related: [I, II, and Rabbi Tendler's letter of protest to the Yated. ]