Monday, May 09, 2005

Midos Sdom alert

Edvalace, commenting on the Cross-Currents post that just keeps on giving wrote:

Respect goes both ways my friend. When it's only one way, it's called subservience, not respect. When the discos close on Tisha B'Av and the businesses on Shabbos, we will consider standing still on Yom Hashoah.

I replied: Pardon me, but I seem to have mis-remembered Rabbi Akiva's klal godol batorah. I thank Edvallace for reminding me that Rabbi Akiva ACTUALLY said, "Treat your neighbor exactly as he treats you. If you respect him more than he respects you, that's called subservience."

Silly me. I thought it was something naive, and (dare I say it) liberal like "v'ahavta l'rayacha komocha." Wonder where I got THAT crazy idea.

[PS: My ten dollars says Yakov (ohev emet) Menken deletes my comment by the end of the day.]

Update: Well that didn't take long! My comment has already been taken down. Kindly hold your nose, go to Cross Currents, and write a comment of your own asking Yakov (Ohev Emet) Menken to explain why Edvallaces's comment is appropriate for Cross Currents when mine is not. You may wish to remind Mr. Ohev Emet, that the comment he deleted refrenced an authentic Torah thought, while the comment he permitted justifies hatred between Jews.

Thank you.